On 2/11/2011 4:29 AM, Mark Shannon wrote:
Nick Coghlan wrote:

Now that the issue has been brought up, it can certainly be taken into
consideration for 3.3. The idea of defining a Py_PORTABLE_API that is
even more restrictive than PEP 384 (e.g. eliminating lots of old cruft
that is a legacy of CPython's long history of development when it was
the *only* viable Python implementation) may also be worth exploring.

Absolutely. I intend to do just that.

I think we should try to have deprecations and removals in the codebase by the first alpha release for maximal testing. GP's asyncore changes inspired this thought, but I would apply it generally.

--
Terry Jan Reedy