On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> I don't think it would be good (or necessary) to split this into a separate
> PEP. PyCon (sprints or language summit) would be a good place to talk about
> this.

Sure. With a PEP to record decisions this time, we shouldn't get a
repeat of the last naming discussion where

>> I believe the only remaining decision to be made is whether we
>> actually change the "make install" command and the Mac OS X installers
>> for Python 2.7.2, or leave them alone and tell the distro folks to fix
>> it on their side of the fence. My own vote is a +1 for both, since
>> changing "make install" is fairly easy, and Ronald indicated earlier
>> in the thread that not only is the change to the Mac OS X installer
>> pretty trivial, but that Apple are likely to follow the lead of
>> whatever our default installer does.
>>

> Martin has also indicated that making appropriate changes to the Windows
> installer would not be difficult if we agree that changing the 2.7
> maintenance branch in this way is appropriate.

True, it's only the more exotic ideas (like trying to do something
about the PYTHON* variables or file associations) that become an
issue. Simply supporting having a python3 version and a python2
version on PATH at the same time could work by duplicating the main
executables (using "python2w" and "python3w" for the non-console
variants), with the sysadmin effectively choosing the preferred
version of the installed versions based on the directory order in
PATH.

Cheers,
Nick.

--