Tres Seaver wrote:

I'm not even sure why you would want __version__ in 99% of modules:  in
the ordinary cases, a module's version should be either the Python
version (for a module shipped in the stdlib), or the release of the
distribution which shipped it.

It's useful to be able to find out the version of a module
you're using at run time so you can cope with API changes.

I had a case just recently where the behaviour of something
in pywin32 changed between one release and the next. I looked
for an attribute called 'version' or something similar to
test, but couldn't find anything.

+1 on having a standard place to look for version info.

--
Greg