Some remarks below.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:33 PM, DasIch <dasdas...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I'm interested in participating in the Google Summer of Code this year
> and I've been looking at projects in the Wiki, particularly
> speed.pypy.org[1] as I'm very interested in the current VM
> development. However given my knowledge that project raised several
> questions:
>
> 1. Up until now the only 3.x Implementation is CPyhon. IronPython,
> Jython and PyPy don't support it - and to my knowledge won't get
> support for it during or before GSoC - and could not benefit from it.
> It seems that a comparison between a Python 2.x implementation and a
> 3.x implementation is rather pointless; so is this intended to be
> rather an additional "feature" to have 3.x there as well?

You are correct: But the point of this GSOC project is to do the
porting, the initial deployment of speed.python.org will be on the 2.x
implementation with 3.x to follow as other VMs migrate.

> 2. As a follow-up to 1: It is not specified whether the benchmarks
> should be ported using a tool such as 2to3, if this should not happen
> or if this is up to the student, this needs clarification. This may be
> more clear if it were considered under which "umbrella" this project
> is actually supposed to happen; will those ported benchmarks end up in
> CPython or will there be a separate repository for all VMs?

We will have a common repository for all benchmarks, for all of the
implementations.

> 3. Several benchmarks (at least the Django and Twisted ones) have
> dependencies which are not (yet) ported to 3.x and porting those
> dependencies during GSoC as part of this project is an unrealistic
> goal. Should those benchmarks, at least for now, be ignored?

IMHO: Yes. I think MvL can expand on this as well.

> [1]: http://wiki.python.org/moin/SpeedDotPythonDotOrg

FYI, I recommend coordinating with Miquel Torres (cc'ed) and Maciej
Fijalkowski from PyPy on these questions / this project as well. I am
currently coordinating getting the hardware setup for this project's
hosting.

jesse