On 03/21/2011 05:44 PM, s...@pobox.com wrote:

Thanks for the example, Hrvoje.

     Hrvoje>  This automatic merging often causes people who migrate to a DVCS
     Hrvoje>  to feel that they have to go through an unnecessary extra step
     Hrvoje>  in their workflows.  But once you grasp the "hole" in the svn
     Hrvoje>  workflow, what svn does (and what one used to take for granted)
     Hrvoje>  tends to become unacceptable, to put it mildly.

In the run-up to a release when there is lots of activity happening, do you
find yourself in a race with other developers to push your changes cleanly?

I work on a small project in comparison to Python, so this doesn't happen to me personally. But such a race is certain to happen on larger projects. But it doesn't mean that we are helpless to prevent it. After all, one of the selling points of DVCS is the ability to support different integration workflows.

If you (we) are running into a push race with the other developers over the central repository's head, this could indicate that the project is large enough that the centralized workflow is no longer the appropriate one. If you are not familiar with other DVCS workflows, take a look at, for example, chapter 5 of the "Pro Git" book, which describes the alternatives such as integrator-manager and dictator-lieutenant workflows: http://progit.org/book/ch5-1.html

Python obviously wouldn't benefit from a strict hierarchy implied by the dictator-lieutenants model, but perhaps it could switch to something between that and the integrator model for the releases. The release manager could act as the dictator (as well as integrator), while the core committers would be lieutenants (as well as developers). Just a thought.

Hrvoje