I'm wondering if it is a reasonable idea to have .hgignore exclude all files from 'Lib/site-packages' and 'Scripts'? As I install packages into my source builds, a 'hg status' lists *many* files in both those directories forcing me to scroll up a number of pages to see files which have actually changed.

IIUC, listing a directory in .hgignore doesn't preclude files from that directory being added to hg, and doesn't prevent files in those directories already under hg from being detected as changed. The only downside I can see if that if new files are added to those directories which should be added to hg, a simple "hg st" will not show it - someone must remember and explicitly add it. However, ISTM those files are already likely to be missed given the large amount of noise 'hg st' shows in that directory - the files are likely to be in the middle of a very long list which my brain will be trained to habitually skip over. The number of new files which legitimately need to be added to those directories seem so small that this risk seems worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

Mark