Hi,

Commit changelogs are important to understand why the code was changed.
I regulary use hg blame to search which commit introduced a particular
line of code, and I am always happy if I can find an issue number
because it usually contains the whole story.

And since the migration to Mercurial, we have also a great tool adding a
comment to an issue if the changelog contains an issue number (e.g.
changelog starting with "Issue #118888: ..."). So if someone watchs an
issue (is in the nosy list), (s)he will be noticed that a related commit
was pushed. It is not exactly something new: we already do that with
Subversion except that today it is more automatic.

I noticed that some recent commits don't contain the issue number:
please try to always prefix your changelog with the issue number. It is
not "mandatory", but it helps me when I dig the Python history.

--

For merge commits: many developers just write "merge" or "merge 3.1". I
have to go to the parent commit (and something to the grandparent,

Would it be possible to repeat the changelog of the original commit in
the merge commits? svnmerge toold prepared a nice changelog containing
the changelog of all pendings commits, even when a commit was "blocked".

For a merge commit, I copy/paste the changelog of the original commit
and I add a "(Merge 3.1) " prefix. I prefer to add explictly a prefix
because it is not easy to notice that it is a merge commit in a
python-checkins email or in the history of hg.python.org.

We need maybe new tools to help the process.

--

Usecases needing better changelogs:

 - "All changes" section of a buildbot build
 - hg blame (or just hg log)

Victor