On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> Wrong order: first write a PEP, then discuss, then get approval,
> then patch.

Indeed.

If another committer says "please revert and better justify this
change" then we revert it. We don't get into commit wars.

Something does need to be done to resolve the duplication of
functionality between the io and codecs modules, but it is *far* from
clear that deprecating chunks of the longer standing API is the right
way to go about it. This is especially true given Guido's explicit
direction following the issues with the PyCObject removal in 3.2 that
we be *very* conservative about introducing additional
incompatibilities between Python 2 and Python 3.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncogh...@gmail.com   |   Brisbane, Australia