On 7/18/2011 1:01 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
2011/7/18 Glenn Linderman<v+pyt...@g.nevcal.com>:
Attached reduced test case works fine with Python 3.1, fails with Python3.2:
PS D:\Data>  py -3 .\t32enc.py
PS D:\Data>  py -2 .\t32enc.py
   File ".\t32enc.py", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file .\t32enc.py on line 1,
but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.o
rg/peps/pep-0263.html for details
PS D:\Data>  py -3 --version
Python 3.2.1
PS D:\Data>  py -2 --version
Python 2.7

Windows 7 32-bit, py is Vinay's implementation of the PEP 397 launcher
for Windows.

This looks like correct output to me.

Could it be your environment somehow?
Paul.

Yes, a surprise. But it is my environment.... I'm not sure exactly how or why yet. I've continued investigating since posting that... but thanks for the confirmation that it isn't 3.2.1 !

Tweaked the program to show the version and it showed 2.6.4! Which is the only version of Python 2.x installed here.

So my suspicion is that launchsys.adm64.msi, installed just after 3.2.1 (but which appeared to do nothing) has taken over ... something. Not sure what yet.

The reason I thought it did nothing, is that I checked assoc ( =Python.File ) and ftype ( =c:\python32\python.exe "%1" %* ) both of which look familiar, and neither of which mention py.exe which is what I think the launcher is supposed to have been named; and running c:\python32\python.exe from the command line produces a Python that looks like 3.2.1 .

But somehow, running t32enc.py from the command line fails, and loads 2.6.4 !

From what I've read about the launcher, I thought it was supposed to take over the assoc and ftype and point Python.File to c:\windows\system32\py.exe -- but that hasn't happened (and yes, I've rebooted since doing the installs, so it is not just a leftover CMD that didn't pick up new values).

So my question now is: how does the launcher really get activated when invoking .py files from the command line, if the assoc and ftype indicate that it should run c:\python32\python.exe (which when I run by hand, seems to be what the name claims it to be)?

We don't need to create mysteries!

Glenn