On 7/19/2011 12:21 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
On 19 July 2011 16:16, Antoine Pitrou<solip...@pitrou.net>  wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:00:57 +0100

Perhaps this could be changed? As far as I can see, python.exe is
a small executable around ~25KB (all the code being in the DLL), so
there doesn't seem to be any harm to make a copy of it named either
pythonXY.exe or pythonX.Y.exe.

I'm sure it could (and in fact, I thought that this had been discussed
some time back and it may even be already happening in 3.3) but it
doesn't help for existing versions, where the py.exe launcher does. So
as a longer-term solution, supplying pythonXY.exe binaries may be
useful (depending on how PEP 397 progresses), but the benefits won't
be for quite some time. (And there's still the question of what gets
put on PATH by default even if version-specific binaries exist).

Suppose for Windows there were one '.../python' directory wherever the user first asks it to be put and that all pythons, not just cpython, are installed in directories below that and that the small startup file is copied into or linked from the python directory. Then the one python directory could be put on the path and left there and never removed by any python de-installer (unless perhaps it check that there are no subdirs and *asks* the user.

--
Terry Jan Reedy