On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:28:44 +0200, =?UTF-8?B?w4lyaWMgQXJhdWpv?=
<mer...@netwok.org> wrote:
> Le 29/07/2011 14:50, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
> >> changeset:   71562:bdad5bc9a2ed
> >> user:        Éric Araujo <mer...@netwok.org>
> >> summary:
> >>   Stop ignoring Mercurial merge conflits files (#12255).
> >>
> >> R. David Murray and I think that it’s more useful to have these files
> >> show up in the output of “hg status”, to let the user know that some
> >> merged file have to be checked before commit.
> >
> > Mercurial will prevent you from committing before you have solved
> > conflicts, so I'm not sure what this brings. "hg res -l" is the command
> > to remember when you want to list files with conflicts.
>
> People confused by the merge/resolve system could exit their merge tool
> without actually merging the changes (I know it happened to me!), so
> these files act as a reminder that not everything is right.

Or people who decide the particular merge tool isn't going to help in
a particular case.  I do that reasonably often.

> .orig is also created by hg revert; my usage is that I remove this file
> after I’ve checked that the revert is okay.

And by patch.  This is my major reason for disliking having these files
ignored.  I want to know about the .rej and .orig files patch generates
that I may have forgotten about, and not just to clean them up.  Their
existence is a signal that there's something I haven't finished working
through (or that I at least need to check that I worked through it
before deleting them).

> > The fact that "make clean" doesn't wipe these files is an additional
> > annoyance.
>
> make clean removes generated files, but *.rej and *.orig are backups,
> which you may want to save or re-apply.  I’m not sure it would be right
> to lose them.  Maybe distclean?

Exactly.  Which is another reason these files should not be ignored:
even distclean should probably not remove the backup files generated
by patch, which means that hg status should show the files because they
aren't part of the distribution.

Which means (assuming there is agreement with my logic :) that make
distclean probably *should* remove the stuff generated by coverage,
given that we are ignoring that stuff now.

--David