> The implementation will also be similar to bz2 - basic compressor and
> decompressor classes written in C, with convenience functions and a file
> interface implemented on top of those in Python.

When I reviewed lzma, I found that this approach might not be
appropriate. lzma has many more options and aspects that allow tuning
and selection, and a Python LZMA library should provide the same feature
set as the underlying C library.

So I would propose that a very thin C layer is created around the C
library that focuses on the actual algorithms, and that any higher
layers (in particular file formats) are done in Python.

Regards,
Martin