On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> I, for one, am very interested. It sounds like the 'unicode' datatype
> in Jython does not in fact have O(1) indexing characteristics if the
> string contains any characters in the astral plane. Interesting. I
> wonder if you have heard from anyone about this affecting their app's
> performance?
So far we haven't had any complaints - I'm not really sure how often
Jython gets used with astral plane characters at this point, but I
expect it will happen more in the future, especially once we put
together a Jython 3 and Unicode support becomes a stronger
expectation. Personally I'm hoping that in that time frame Java will
come under pressure to provide a better answer (or we may need to
think in the same direction as Dino was thinking in an earlier part of
this thread and make a more Python specific String type for
Jython....)

-Frank