On 10/7/2011 6:18 AM, Glyph wrote:

To sum up what I believe is now the consensus from this thread:

 1. Anyone setting up a buildslave should take care to invoke the build
    in an environment where an out-of-control buildbot, potentially
    executing arbitrarily horrible and/or malicious code, should not
    damage anything. Builders should always be isolated from valuable
    resources, although the specific mechanism of isolation may differ.
    A virtual machine is a good default, but may not be sufficient;
    other tools for cutting of the builder from the outside world would
    be chroot jails, solaris zones, etc.
 2. Code runs differently as privileged vs. unprivileged users.

My particular concern with testing as an unprivileged user comes from experience with too many (commercial, post-XP) Windows programs that only run correctly as admin (without an obvious good reason).

    Therefore builders should be set up in both configurations, running
    the full test suite, to ensure that all code runs as expected in
    both configurations. Some tests, as the start of this thread
    indicates, must have some special logic to make sure they do or do
    not run, or run differently, in privileged vs. unprivileged
    configurations, but generally speaking most things should work in
    both places.
 3. Access to root my provide access to slightly surprising resources,
    even within a VM (such as the ability to send spoofed IP packets,
    change the MAC address of even virtual ethernet cards, etc), and
    administrators should be aware that this is the case when
    configuring the host environment for a run-as-root builder. You
    don't want to end up with a compromised test VM that can snoop on
    your network.

--
Terry Jan Reedy