Hi,

This is my first time on Python-dev, so I apologize for my newbie-ness.

I have been doing some performance experiments with memcmp, and I was
surprised that memcmp wasn't faster than it was in Python.  I did a whole,
long analysis and came up with some very simple results.

Before I put in a tracker bug report, I wanted to present my findings
and make sure they were repeatable to others (isn't that the nature
of science? ;)   as well as offer discussion.

The analysis is a pdf and is here:
    http://www.picklingtools.com/study.pdf
The testcases are a tarball here:
   http://www.picklingtools.com/PickTest5.tar.gz

I have three basic recommendations in the study: I am
curious what other people think.

  Gooday,

  Richie