Eli Bendersky writes:

 > special locale. It makes me wonder whether it's possible to have a
 > contradiction in the ordering, i.e. have a set of names that just
 > can't be sorted in any order acceptable by everyone.

Yes, it is.  The examples were already given in this thread.  The
Han-using languages also have this problem, and Japanese is
nondetermistic all by itself (there are kanji names which for
historical reasons are pronounced in several different ways, and
therefore cannot be placed in phonetic order without additional
information).

The sensible thing is to just sort in Unicode code point order, I
think.