On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:18:40 +0100, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 09:50 -0500, PJ Eby wrote:

        As someone who ported WebOb and other stuff built on top of it
        to Python
        3 without using "from __future__ import unicode_literals", I'm
        kinda sad
        that to be using best practice I'll have to go back and flip
        the
        polarity on everything.

Eh?  If you don't need unicode_literals, what's the problem?

Porting the WebOb code sucked.  It's only about 5K lines of code but the
porting effort took me about 80 hours.  Some of the problem is certainly
my own idiocy, but some of it is just because straddling code across
Python 2 and Python 3 currently requires that you change lots and lots
of code for suspect benefit.

Could this manual work be cut down if there was a version of 2to3 that targeted the subset of the language that is compatible with both 2 and 3? That would seem to avoid most of the drawbacks to the current 2to3 approach.

Laurence