On 1/5/2012 4:10 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Serhiy Storchaka<storch...@gmail.com>  wrote:
05.01.12 21:14, Glenn Linderman написав(ла):
So, fixing the vulnerable packages could be a sufficient response,
rather than changing the hash function.  How to fix?  Each of those
above allocates and returns a dict.  Simply have each of those allocate
and return and wrapped dict, which has the following behaviors:

i) during __init__, create a local, random, string.
ii) for all key values, prepend the string, before passing it to the
internal dict.

Good idea.

Thanks for the implementation, Serhiy. That is the sort of thing I had in mind, indeed.
Not a good idea - a lot of the 3rd party tests that depend on dict
ordering are going to be using those modules anyway,

Stats? Didn't someone post a list of tests that fail when changing the hash? Oh, those were stdlib tests, not 3rd party tests. I'm not sure how to gather the stats, then, are you?

so scattering our
solution across half the standard library is needlessly creating
additional work without really reducing the incompatibility problem.

Half the standard library? no one has cared to augment my list of modules, but I have seen reference to JSON in addition to cgi and urllib.parse. I think there are more than 6 modules in the standard library...

If we're going to change anything, it may as well be the string
hashing algorithm itself.

Changing the string hashing algorithm is known (or at least no one has argued otherwise) to be a source of backward incompatibility that will break programs. My proposal (and Serhiy's implementation, assuming it works, or can be easily tweaked to work, I haven't reviewed it in detail or attempted to test it) will only break programs that have vulnerabilities.

I failed to mention one other benefit of my proposal: every web request would have a different random prefix, so attempting to gather info is futile: the next request has a different random prefix, so different strings would collide.

Cheers,
Nick.

Indeed it is nice when we can be cheery even when arguing, for the most part :) I've enjoyed reading the discussions in this forum because most folks have respect for other people's opinions, even when they differ.