Victor Stinner wrote:

- Marc Andre Lemburg proposes to fix the vulnerability directly in
dict (for any key type). The patch raises an exception if a lookup
causes more than 1000 collisions.

Am I missing something? How does this fix the vulnerability? It seems to me that the only thing this does is turn one sort of DOS attack into another sort of DOS attack: hostile users will just cause hash collisions until an exception is raised and the application falls over.

Catching these exceptions, and recovering from them (how?), would be the responsibility of the application author. Given that developers are unlikely to ever see 1000 collisions by accident, or even realise that it could happen, I don't expect that many people will do that -- until they personally get bitten.

--
Steven