On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> datetime.datetime
>
> - real problem with the idea is that not all timestamps can be easily
> made absolute (e.g. some APIs may return "time since system started"
> or "time since process started")

I think this is an argument for returning the appropriate one of
datetime or timedelta from all of these functions: users need to keep
track of whether they've got an absolute time, or an offset from an
unspecified starting point, and that's a type-like distinction.

> - the complexity argument used against timedelta also applies

A plain number of seconds is superficially simpler, but it forces more
complexity onto the user, who has to track what that number
represents.

datetime and timedelta are even available from a C module, which I had
expected to be a blocking issue.

The biggest problem I see with using datetime and timedelta for
everything is that switching to them is very backwards-incompatible.

Jeffrey