On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:19:59 -0500
Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 13:43, PJ Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > Again, the goal is fast startup of command-line tools that only use a
> > small subset of the overall framework; doing disk access for lazy imports
> > goes against that goal.
> >
> Depends if you consider stat calls the overhead vs. the actual disk
> read/write to load the data. Anyway, this is going to lead down to a
> discussion/argument over design parameters which I'm not up to having since
> I'm not actively working on a lazy loader for the stdlib right now.

For those of you not watching -ideas, or ignoring the "Python TIOBE
-3%" discussion, this would seem to be relevant to any discussion of
reworking the import mechanism:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2012-January/059801.html

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.