> I'd still like to know who is in charge of the etree package now. I know
> that I'm not, so I just don't have any opinion on the technical question
> of using the accelerator module (it sounds like a reasonable idea, but
> it also sounds like something that may break existing code). If the
> maintainer of the etree package would pronounce that it is ok to make
> this change, I'd have no objection at all. Lacking a maintainer, I feel
> responsible for any bad consequences of that change, which makes me feel
> uneasy about it.

Martin, as you've seen Fredrik Lundh finally officially ceded the
maintenance of the ElementTree code to the Python developers:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116389.html

The change of backing ElementTree by cElementTree has already been
implemented in the default branch (3.3) by Florent Xicluna with careful
review from me and others. etree has an extensive (albeit a bit clumsy) set
of tests which keep passing successfully after the change. The bots are
also happy.

In the past couple of years Florent has been the de-facto maintainer of
etree in the standard library, although I don't think he ever "committed"
to keep maintaining it for years to come. Neither can I make this
commitment, however I do declare that I will do my best to keep the library
functional, and I also plan to work on improving its documentation and
cleaning up some of the accumulated cruft in its implementation. I also
have all the intentions to take the blame if something breaks. That said,
Florent is probably the one most familiar with the code at this point, and
although his help will be most appreciated I can't expect or demand from
him to stick around for a few years. We're all volunteers here, after all.

Eli