On 2/22/2012 1:57 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

In the tracker, someone proposed that the option is necessary to synchronize
the seed across processes in a cluster. I'm sure people will use it for that
if they can.

Yeah, that use case sounds reasonable, too. Another example is that,
even within a machine, if two processes are using shared memory rather
than serialised IPC, synchronising the hashes may be necessary. The
key point is that there *are* valid use cases for forcing a particular
seed, so we shouldn't take that ability away.

When we document the option to set the seed, we could mention that synchronization of processes that share data is the main intended use.

--
Terry Jan Reedy