Chris McDonough <chrism <at> plope.com> writes:

> Although the change makes it possible, and it is very useful for very
> low level WSGI apps, the issue this change addresses really isn't really
> 100% about "needing to define native strings".  It's also just
> preservation of a resource in pretty short supply: developer energy.

Apparently developer energy is a limitless resource when it comes to arguing
over PEPs ;-)

> This, IMO, can only be a good thing, because the nominal impact of some

It can also have some downsides, at least according to some points of view. For
example, I regard elevating "native strings" to undue prominence, and the
continued use of u'xxx' in Python 3 code, as unfortunate consequences. For
example, with PEP 414, it will be possible to mix Unicode with and without
prefix - how would that not be at least a little confusing for users new to
Python? Remember, "native strings" are a Python-only concept.

> future user who must now understand u'' syntax is (again IMO) not as
> consequential as that user having less software to choose from because
> porting to Python 3 was just that much harder for existing Python 2
> developers.

I don't believe it's because porting to Python 3 is especially hard. I'm not
saying it's trivial, but it isn't rocket surgery ;-) Even if porting were
trivially easy to do technically at the level the PEP addresses, there would
still be additional tests, and perhaps documentation, and perhaps
release-related work to be done. Since Python 2.x is a very good platform for
software development, where's the incentive to move over to 3.x? It's the
chicken and egg effect. Many people are waiting for other people to move over
(perhaps projects they depend upon), and while the transition is happening, it's
not as quick as it could be. I think a lot of it is down to inertia. Possibly
another factor was the "just use 2to3 message", which we now know doesn't work
well in all scenarios. However, I don't believe that the "use a single codebase,
use six or six-like techniques, use unicode_literals, use the 2to3 fixer to
remove unicode prefixes, and use native string markers where you need to"
message has received anything like the same level of airplay. If you talk to
people who have *actually tried* this approach (say Barry, or me) you'll hear
that it's not been all that rough a ride.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip