> What's wrong with "time.time()" again?  As documented in
> http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/time.html it makes no guarantees,
> and specifically there is *no* guarantee that it will ever behave
> *badly*<wink/>.  Of course, we'll have to guarantee that, if a
> badly-behaved clock is available, users can get access to it, so call
> that time._time().

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion correctly, but replacing
time.time() by time.monotonic() with fallback won't work, because
time.monotonic() isn't wall-clock time: it can very well use an
arbitrary reference point (most likely system start-up time).

As for the hires() function, since there's no guarantee whatsoever
that it does provide a better resolution than time.time(), this would
be really misleading IMHO.