On 30 March 2012 21:52, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> Oh dear. I really want to say that 15 ms is good enough. Some possible
> exceptions I can think of:
>
> - Profiling. But this really wants to measure CPU time anyways, and it
> already uses a variety of hacks and heuristics to pick the best timer,
> so I don't really care.

That depends on what you're profiling.  If you're profiling CPU bound
algorithms then yes CPU time is better. But if your trying to
profile/measure hardware device/comms performance for example then CPU
time is of no interest.  There, on windows the 15ms resolution of
time.time makes it useless.  For some reason I always forget this and
sit looking at trace outs for 5 minutes wondering why everything takes
either 0, 15, or 30ms.

For nearly all my use cases I'm not terribly interested in
monotonicity, or stability in suspend/resume states so I won't give my
opinions on thiose (though I can see they are good things and can well
imagine needing them one day), I just want an easy way of getting at
least micro second resolution cross platform.

I don't mind particularly what you call it but FWIW 'highres' seems a
bit odd to me.  It seems that highres is likely to seem lowres one
day, and then you need to add higherres() and then
evenhigherthanthatres().

I would go with microtime(), or nanotime()  it doesn't make any
promises about anything other than the resolution.

Sam