On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If specifying install dependencies is the killer feature of setuptools, why
> can't we have a very simple module that adds the necessary 3 keywords to
> record it, and let 3rd party tools deal with it as they wish ? That would
> not even require speciying the format, and would let us more time to deal
> with the other, more difficult questions.

That low level role is filled by PEP 345 (the latest PyPI metadata
format, which adds the new fields), PEP 376 (local installation
database) and PEP 386 (version numbering schema).

The corresponding packaging submodules are the ones that were being
considered for retention as a reference implementation in 3.3, but are
still slated for removal along with the rest of the package (the
reference implementations will remain available as part of distutils2
on PyPI).

Whatever UI a Python packaging solution presents to a user, it needs
to support those 3 PEPs on the back end for interoperability with
other tools (including, eventually, the packaging module in the
standard library).

Your feedback on the commands/compilers design sounds valuable, and I
would be very interested in seeing a PEP targeting that aspect of the
new packaging module (if you look at the start of this thread, the
failure to improve the compiler API is one of the reasons for pulling
the code from 3.3).

If python-dev ends up playing referee on multiple competing PEPs,
that's not necessarily a bad thing. If a consensus solution doesn't
meet the needs of key parties that aren't well served by existing
approaches (specifically, the scientific community, and enterprise
users that want to be able to translate the plethora of language
specific packaging systems to a common format for internal use to
simplify system administration and configuration management and
auditing), then we may as well not bother and let the status quo
continue indefinitely.

Cheers,
Nick.

--