On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM, R. David Murray <rdmur...@bitdance.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:38:12 -0500, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> > Do we have a graph of the historical trend of the number of bugs (or at
> > least the historical details stored somewhere)? I think we have had a net
>
> Not really.  Ezio made one by hand once, but there is nothing automated.
>
> The historical details are stored only in the mailing list archives, as
> far as I know.  In theory I think you could re-calculate them from the
> Roundup DB, but for various reasons the numbers would probably come out
> slightly different.  Still, getting the data from the DB would be better
> than parsing the emails, since for one reason and another there are
> missing Friday reports, and reports that were issued on non-Friday
> dates.
>
> > decrease in open bugs the last couple of weeks and it would be neat to
> see
> > an absolute and relative graph of the overall trend since Python 3.3.0
> was
> > released. Also might make a nice motivator to try to close issues
> faster. =)
> >
> > Otherwise is the code public for this somewhere? I assume it's making an
>
> Yes.  It is in the software repository for our roundup instances:
>

> http://hg.python.org/tracker/python-dev/file/default/scripts/roundup-summary
>
> (Be warned that that isn't the location from which the script is
> executed, so it is possible for what is actually running to get out of
> sync with what is checked in at that location.)
>
> > XML-RPC call or something every week to get the results, but if I decide
>
> Nope, it talks directly to the DB.  And as you will see, it is more
> than a bit gnarly.

I think I could also download the csv file and parse that to get whatever
data I wanted.

>  > do a little App Engine app to store historical data and do a graph I
> would
> > rather not have to figure all of this out from scratch. =) Although I
> could
> > I guess also parse the email if I wanted to ignore all other emails.
>
> I'm not sure how one would go about integrating the above with an App
> Engine app.  I suspect that not quite enough information is available
> through the XML-RPC interface to replicate that script, but maybe you
> could manage just the open-close counting part of it.  I haven't
> looked at what it would take.

It really depends on what statistics I cared about (e.g. there are less
than 4000 bugs while there are less than 25,000 closed bugs). If I just did
high-level statistics it wouldn't be bad, but if I try to track every issue
independently that might be annoying (and actually cost money for me,
although I already personally pay for py3ksupport.appspot.com so I can
probably piggyback off of that app's quota). We will see if this ever goes
anywhere. =)