On 2012-12-09 01:15, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On 09/12/12 08:14, MRAB wrote:

If package A says that it conflicts with package B, it may or may not
be symmetrical, because it's possible that package B has been updated
since the author of package A discovered the conflict, so it's
important that the user is told which package is complaining about the
conflict, the one that is being installed or the one that is already
installed.

I must admit than in reading this thread, I'm having a bit of trouble
understanding why merely *installing* packages should lead to conflicts.

[snip]
Personally speaking, I was thinking more about possible problems at
runtime due to functional conflicts, but it could apply to any
(undefined) conflict.