Now that Jesus has provided a heads-up, detailed discussion belongs on
the metatracker IMO.  Warning: Reply-To set to tracker-disc...@python.org.

metatracker workers: Created issue500.  More info: see this thread:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-January/123437.html

Brett Cannon writes:

 > > Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?. I reflesh 99% of the
 > > time, but could forget sometimes, and some other times I need a
 > > "shift+reload" to bypass browser cache.
 > >
 > Well, I would argue you are doing something fundamentally wrong by
 > submitting anything without refreshing first. It is a form so technically
 > nothing is being done incorrectly in changing values based on what you
 > submit, whether you view them stale or not.

That's beside the point, Brett.  First, his intent is to refresh, so
he's doing his best - he merely admits he's human, and would like help
from the machine.  But the nub of his report is the fact that nothing
he *can* do seems to do the whole job of refreshing.

Nor is he complaining about the form processing at the HTML/HTTP
level.  The limits of the HTTP transport don't justify the defects of
the database backend, although they are likely to cause inconvenience
to users (ie, the easy patch is to block the whole update, rather than
update only the fields the user has explicitly changed).

I need to update XEmacs's tracker anyway, I'll investigate whether
upstream has a fix for this, and if not, see if I can come up with a
patch for this while I'm updating.  Technically it shouldn't be hard
to implement Jesus's suggestion, and at least reject potential
spurious updates (the tracker db has a timestamp on every change).

metatracker workers: no ETA on this, feel free to ping me for updates
or prod me to get to work.<wink>