Hello,

> PEP: 433
> Title: Add cloexec argument to functions creating file descriptors

I'm not a native English speaker, but it seems to me that the correct
wording should be "parameter" (part of the function
definition/prototype, whereas "argument" refers to the actual value
supplied).

> This PEP proposes to add a new optional argument ``cloexec`` on
> functions creating file descriptors in the Python standard library. If
> the argument is ``True``, the close-on-exec flag will be set on the
> new file descriptor.

It would probably be useful to recap briefly what the close-on-exec flag does.

Also, ISTM that Windows also supports this flag. If it does, then
"cloexec" might not be the best name, because it refers to the
execve() Unix system call. Maybe something like "noinherit" would be
clearer (although coming from a Unix background "cloexec" is
crystal-clear to me :-).

> On UNIX, subprocess closes file descriptors greater than 2 by default
> since Python 3.2 [#subprocess_close]_. All file descriptors created by
> the parent process are automatically closed.

("in the child process")

> ``xmlrpc.server.SimpleXMLRPCServer`` sets the close-on-exec flag of
> the listening socket, the parent class ``socketserver.BaseServer``
> does not set this flag.

As has been discussed earlier, the real issue is that the server
socket is not closed in the child process. Setting it cloexec would
only add an extra security for multi-threaded programs.

> Inherited file descriptors issues
> ---------------------------------
>
> Closing the file descriptor in the parent process does not close the
> related resource (file, socket, ...) because it is still open in the
> child process.

You might want to go through the bug tracker to find examples of such
issues, and list them:
http://bugs.python.org/issue7213
http://bugs.python.org/issue12786
http://bugs.python.org/issue2320
http://bugs.python.org/issue3006

The list goes on.
Some of those examples resulted in deadlocks.

> The listening socket of TCPServer is not closed on ``exec()``: the
> child process is able to get connection from new clients; if the
> parent closes the listening socket and create a new listening socket
> on the same address, it would get an "address already is used" error.

See above for the real cause.

> Not closing file descriptors can lead to resource exhaustion: even if
> the parent closes all files, creating a new file descriptor may fail
> with "too many files" because files are still open in the child
> process.

You might want to detail the course of events (a child if forked
before the parent gets a chance to close the file descriptors...
EMFILE).

> Leaking file descriptors is a major security vulnerability. An
> untrusted child process can read sensitive data like passwords and
> take control of the parent process though leaked file descriptors. It
> is for example a known vulnerability to escape from a chroot.

You might add a link to this:
https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/seccode/FIO42-C.+Ensure+files+are+properly+closed+when+they+are+no+longer+needed

It can also result in DoS (if the child process highjacks the server
socket and accepts connections).

Example of vulnerabilities:
http://www.openssh.com/txt/portable-keysign-rand-helper.adv
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/348368
http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/403.html

> The problem is that these flags and functions are not portable: only
> recent versions of operating systems support them. ``O_CLOEXEC`` and
> ``SOCK_CLOEXEC`` flags are ignored by old Linux versions and so
> ``FD_CLOEXEC`` flag must be checked using ``fcntl(fd, F_GETFD)``.  If
> the kernel ignores ``O_CLOEXEC`` or ``SOCK_CLOEXEC`` flag, a call to
> ``fcntl(fd, F_SETFD, flags)`` is required to set close-on-exec flag.
>
> .. note::
>    OpenBSD older 5.2 does not close the file descriptor with
>    close-on-exec flag set if ``fork()`` is used before ``exec()``, but
>    it works correctly if ``exec()`` is called without ``fork()``.

That would be *really* surprising, are your sure your test case is correct?
Otherwise it could be a compilation issue, because I simply can't
believe OpenBSD would ignore the close-on-exec flag.

I've opened http://bugs.python.org/issue16945 to rewrite this to use subprocess.

> Impacted modules:
>
>  * ``multiprocessing``
>  * ``socketserver``
>  * ``subprocess``
>  * ``tempfile``

Hum, I thought temporay file are already created with the close-on-exec flag.

>  * ``xmlrpc.server``
>  * Maybe: ``signal``, ``threading``
>
> XXX Should ``subprocess.Popen`` set the close-on-exec flag on file XXX
> XXX descriptors of the constructor the ``pass_fds`` argument?      XXX

What?
Setting them cloexec would prevent them from being inherited in the
child process!

> Add a new optional ``cloexec`` argument to:
>
>  * Maybe also: ``os.open()``, ``os.openpty()``

Open can be passed O_CLOEXEC directly.

>  * Many functions of the Python standard library creating file
>    descriptors are cannot be changed by this proposal, because adding
>    a ``cloexec`` optional argument would be surprising and too many
>    functions would need it. For example, ``os.urandom()`` uses a
>    temporary file on UNIX, but it calls a function of Windows API on
>    Windows. Adding a ``cloexec`` argument to ``os.urandom()`` would
>    not make sense. See `Always set close-on-exec flag`_ for an
>    incomplete list of functions creating file descriptors.
>  * Checking if a module creates file descriptors is difficult. For
>    example, ``os.urandom()`` creates a file descriptor on UNIX to read
>    ``/dev/urandom`` (and closes it at exit), whereas it is implemented
>    using a function call on Windows. It is not possible to control
>    close-on-exec flag of the file descriptor used by ``os.urandom()``,
>    because ``os.urandom()`` API does not allow it.

I think that the rule of thumb should be simple:
if a library opens a file descriptor which is not exposed to the user,
either because it's opened and closed before returning (e.g.
os.urandom()) or the file descriptor is kept private (e.g. poll(), it
should be set close-on-exec. Because the FD is not handed over to the
user, there's no risk of breaking applications: that's what the glibc
does (e.g. for getpwnam(), so you're sure you don't leak an open FD to
/etc/passwd).

> Always set close-on-exec flag on new file descriptors created by
> Python. This alternative just changes the default value of the new
> ``cloexec`` argument.

In a perfect world, all FDS should have been cloexec by default.
But it's too late now, I don't think we can change the default, it's
going to break some applications, and would be a huge deviation from
POSIX (however broken this design decision is).

> Add a function to set close-on-exec flag by default
>
> An alternative is to add also a function to change globally the
> default behaviour. It would be possible to set close-on-exec flag for
> the whole application including all modules and the Python standard
> library.  This alternative is based on the `Proposal`_ and adds extra
> changes.

>  * It is not more possible to know if the close-on-exec flag will be
>    set or not just by reading the source code.

That's really a show stopper:

"""
s = socket.socket()
if os.fork() == 0:
    # child
    os.execve(['myprog', 'arg1])
else:
    # parent
    [...]
"""

It would be impossible to now if the socket is inherited, because the
behavior of the all program is affected by an - hidden - global
variable. That's just too wrong.

Also, it has the same drawbacks as global variables: not thread-safe,
not library-safe (i.e. if two libraries set it to conflicting values,
you don't know which one is picked up).

> Close file descriptors after fork
> ---------------------------------
>
> This PEP does not fix issues with applications using ``fork()``
> without ``exec()``. Python needs a generic process to register
> callbacks which would be called after a fork, see `Add an 'afterfork'
> module`_. Such registry could be used to close file descriptors just
> after a ``fork()``.

An atfork() module would indeed be really useful, but I don't think it
should be used for closing file descriptors: file descriptors are a
scarce resource, so should be closed as soon as possible, explicitly.
Also, you could end up actually leaking file descriptors just by
keeping a reference to them in the atfork module (that's why it should
probably use weakrefs, but that's another debate).

The atfork mecanism is useful for patterns where some resource is
acquired/open in a library, and needs reiniatialization in a child
process (e.g. locks to avoid deadlocks, or random seed), not to
encourage lazy programming.

> Applications using inherance of file descriptors
>
> Most developers don't know that file descriptors are inherited by
> default. Most programs do not rely on inherance of file descriptors.
> For example, ``subprocess.Popen`` was changed in Python 3.2 to close
> all file descriptors greater than 2 in the child process by default.
> No user complained about this behavior change.

"yet" ;-)

> Network servers using fork may want to pass the client socket to the
> child process. For example, on UNIX a CGI server pass the socket
> client through file descriptors 0 (stdin) and 1 (stdout) using
> ``dup2()``. This specific case is not impacted by this PEP because the
> close-on-exec flag is never set on file descriptors smaller than 3.

CGI servers, inetd servers, etc.

> Example of programs taking file descriptors from the parent process
> using a command line option:
>
>  * gpg: ``--status-fd <fd>``, ``--logger-fd <fd>``, etc.
>  * openssl: ``-pass fd:<fd>``
>  * qemu: ``-add-fd <fd>``
>  * valgrind: ``--log-fd=<fd>``, ``--input-fd=<fd>``, etc.
>  * xterm: ``-S <fd>``

Hum, yes, but since the official way to start new process is through
the subprocess module, I expect that all python code wrapping those
programs is broken since subprocess "close_fds" parameter has been
changed to "True" in 3.2.