On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org> wrote:
> It'd mean smaller code objects and less bloat from constants (docstrings for
> one implementation vs another, etc) being in memory. Taken further, this
> could even be extended beyond implementations to platforms as we have some
> standard library code with alternate definitions within one file for windows
> vs posix, etc.

To plant seeds in the opposite direction, as you're considering this,
I suggest looking at:
- environment markers in PEP 345 and 426 for conditional selection
based on a constrained set of platform data
- compatibility tags in PEP 425 (and consider how they could be used
in relation to __pycache__ and bytecode-only distribution of platform
specific files)

Cheers,
Nick.