On 4 May 2013 07:48, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We don't need examples of arbitrary data file extentions, we need
> examples of 4 letter extensions that are known to work correctly when
> placed on PATHEXT, including when called from PowerShell. In the
> absence of confirmation that 4-letter extensions work reliably in such
> cases, it seems wise to abbreviate the Windows GUI application
> extension as .pzw.
>
> I've also cc'ed Steve Dower, since investigation of this kind of
> Windows behavioural question is one of the things he offered
> distuils-sig help with after PyCon US :)

Nick, thanks for passing this on. Your explanation of the issue is
precisely correct. For information (I should have included this in the
original message) here's the Powershell bug report I found:

https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/238550/power-shell-trimming-extension-to-3-characters-when-resolving-file-associations

Unfortunately the link to the referenced discussion in that report is
inaccessible :-(

Paul