On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Kristján Valur Jónsson
<krist...@ccpgames.com> wrote:
> Hello python-dev.
>
> I‘m working on a patch to remove reference cycles from heap-allocated
> classes:  http://bugs.python.org/issue17950
>
> Part of the patch involves making sure that descriptors in the class
> dictionary don’t contain strong references to the class itself.
>
> This is item 2) in the defect description.
>
> I have implemented this via weak references and hit no issues at all when
> running the test suite.
>
> But I’d like to ask the oracle if there is anything I may be overlooking
> with this approach?  Any hidden problems we might encounter?

Hi Kristjan

The strong reference there is a feature. Descriptors keep the class
alive if somehow the class disappears and the descriptor itself does
not. Please don't change language semantics (yes, this is a change in
semantics), just because the test suite passes - I can assure you
there are people doing convoluted stuff that expect this to work.

Cheers,
fijal