On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2013 07:47:14 -0700 (PDT)
> "Guido van Rossum" <gvanros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fake values would probably cause hard to debug problems. It's a long
>> standing Python tradition not to offer low level APIs that the platform
>> doesn't have.
>
> I meant the platform, not Python.

For CPython derivatives like PyMite, it can help to get things to compile.

Perhaps rather than dropping it, we can just replace all the complex
fallback code with code that triggers 'RuntimeError("Operation
requires fstat, which is not available on this platform")'.

Derivatives that support fstat-free platforms will have a clear place
to put their custom code, but we get the simpler assumption of fstat
always being available for the code paths we care about (and can
reasonably test).

Cheers,
Nick.