On that topic of bitness for 64-bit platforms, would it not be better for
CPython to be written such that it uses the same 64-bit strategy on all
64-bit platforms, regardless of the OS?

As it is now, Python running on 64-bit Windows behaves differently (in
terms of bits for the Python's integer) than it is behaving in other
platforms.  I assume that the Python C code is using the type 'long'
instead of something like the C99 int64_t.  Since Microsoft is using the
LLP64 model and everyone else is using the LP64, code using the C 'long'
type would mean something different on Windows than Unix-like platforms.
 Isn't that unfortunate?

Would it not be better to hide the difference at Python level?

Or is it done this way to allow existing C extension modules to work the
way they were and request Python code that depends on integer sizes to
check sys.maxint?

Also, I would imagine that the performance delta between a Windows 32-bit
Python versus 64-bit Python is not as big as it would be on a Unix
computer.  As far as I can se Python-64 bits on Windows 64-bit OS has a
larger address space and probably does not benefit from anything else. Has
anyone have data on this?

Thanks

--
/Pierre