On 16/08/13 17:47, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
I can't think of a situation where 1 or 2 modes are acceptable but 3
is not. The only forms I can imagine using are mode(data) to get the
unique mode if it exists and mode(data, max_modes=None) to get the set
of all modes.

Hmmm, I think you are right. The current design is leftover from when mode also
supported continuous data, and it made more sense there.

But for that usage it would be better to have a boolean
flag and then either way you're at the point where it would normally
become two functions.

Alright, you've convinced me. I'll provide two functions: mode, which returns
the single value with the highest frequency, or raises; and a second function,
which collates the data into a sorted (value, frequency) list. Bike-shedding on
the name of this second function is welcomed :-)

--
Steven