Exceptions in __del__ point to bugs (sometimes in the stdlib) that
should be fixed, period. The only reason they do not result in
exceptions that are properly bubbled up and catchable is because __del__
is called from a DECREF macro which has no return value.

That is clear enough. What fooled me is the word 'ignored', in both the doc and message. How about 'skipped' (for technical reasons)?

Also, IMO
writing to stderr is fair game -- reporting errors is what it is for.

So developers who really want to control all screen output should redirect or capture it somehow.

As to making them warnings, I don't know that the warnings machinery is
easily adaptable for this purpose. Warnings can be suppressed but they
can also be turned into full exceptions; the latter doesn't really apply
here (see previous paragraph). But I would not object if someone found a
way to do this, though I'd prefer the default behavior to remain what it
is in 3.4 (print a full traceback).

Antoine and Georg think it a dubious idea, so I will not pursue it. Developers who encounter messages from the stdlib can report and wait for a fix.

--
Terry Jan Reedy