On 9 October 2013 07:38, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> Let's agree to disagree then. I see your methodology used all around me
> with often problematic results. Maybe devs should have two machines -- one
> monster that is *only* usable to develop fast, one small that where they
> run their own apps (email, web browser etc.).

I've done that before too - it works quite well (especially if you set them
up to use a single keyboard/mouse).

I suspect the main determination of whether a fast machine as the primary
development machine works better depends heavily on the developer and what
their background is. I've also worked in resource-constrained environments,
so I'm always considering the impact of my choices, even when I go for the
less complicated option initially.

I've also been fortunate to mainly work in places where software
development was considered a craft, with pride in what we produced.
However, I think I should probably reconsider my viewpoint in light of my
current employment ... I despair at some of the code I see ...

Tim Delaney