On 10/13/2013 05:34 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 16:57:09 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

For the record, this thread did prompt me to consider the new construct
anew, but on reflection, I still consider it a reasonable addition to
contextlib.

It substantially improves the simple cases it is intended to help with,
and, if anything, makes overly broad exception suppression *more* obviously
dubious (because the name of the construct doesn't match the consequences
for multi-line suites).

Why? Anyone can still write "try ... except".

True, but Raymond's example of

    with ignore(OSError):
        os.remove('somefile')

struck a chord -- I've used the try ... except version of that many times, and each time it's been a pain. I now agree this context manager is a win.

--
~Ethan~