On 12 Jan 2014 03:44, "Victor Stinner" <victor.stin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in favor of adding support of formatting integer and floatting
> point numbers in the PEP 460: %d, %u, %o, %x, %f with padding and
> precision (%10d, %010d, %1.5f) and sign (%-i, %+i) but without
> alternate format ("{:#x}"). %s would also accept int and float for
> convenience.
>
> int and float subclasses would not be handled differently, their
> __str__ and __format__ would be ignored.
>
> Other int-like and float-like types (ex: defining __int__ or
> __index__) are not supported. Explicit cast would be required.

asciistr will support the *full* text formatting API, so I don't see any
reason to add this complexity to the core bytes type. However, I like the
basic binary interpolation feature proposed by the current version of the
PEP - it's a nice convenience method that doesn't compromise the text model
by introducing implicit serialisation of other types (whether text or
numbers).

For Python 2 folks trying to grok where the "bright line" is in terms of
the Python 3 text model: if your proposal includes *any* kind of implicit
serialisation of non binary data to binary, it is going to be rejected as
an addition to the core bytes type. If it avoids crossing that line (as the
buffer-API-only version of PEP 460 does), then we can talk.

Folks that want implicit serialisation (and I agree it has its uses) should
go help Benno get asciistr up to speed.

Cheers,
Nick.