If not already possible, I suggest that we allow the use of a certificate
validation callback
(it isn't possible for 2.7, I just hacked in one yesterday to allow me to
ignore out-date-failure for certificates.)
Using this, it would be possible to e.g. emit warnings when certificiate
failures occur, rather than deny connection outright.