Am 17.03.14 22:10, schrieb Jurko Gospodnetić:
> Fixing
> this required manually cleaning up leftover CPython 3.4.0rc3 windows
> installer registry entries. Note that the issue could not be fixed by
> using the CPython 3.4.0rc3 installer as it failed due to the same problem.

Did you try the 3.4.0rc3 "repair" installation? That should have
undeleted (repaired) the files that you had manually deleted.

>   I compared MSI packaging related CPython source code (Tools/msi
> folder) in 2.6.2 & 2.6.3 releases but I can not see anything suspicious
> there. It could be that the observed beaviour change between those two
> versions is a result of the final release packager changing his used
> Windows Installer version, but I have not rebuilt CPython, and its MSI
> installer to test this theory out.

I believe I switched the entire Windows installation at least once in
this time (from XP to Windows 7), so it's unlikely related to my
personal installation.

>   Should I open a 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog related issue in the
> CPython issue tracker?

Please do. It would also good if somebody volunteered to reproduce
the issue.

> And possibly a separate one for making CPython
> installations not fail without possible recovery if a previous CPython
> installation has already been removed?

Please don't. Or, at least, make it more specific. If you have manually
corrupted your Python installation (by deleting essential files), you
have to accept that the system installation procedures will fail.

It might be possible to recover from the loss of a specific such file;
for that, we would have to identify what the file is. However, the
standard procedure should be to repair the installation before
attempting an upgrade.

Regards,
Martin