On 20Apr2014 14:32, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
On 20/04/2014 06:31, Ethan Furman wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to write this up, Nick.

However, I am -1 on it.  One of the allures of Python 3 is the increase
in simplicity and elegance.  Restoring cruft does not help with that.
Python 2 idioms that get restored to Python 3 must have real value:
unicode literals, wire-protocol interpolations -- I don't feel that this
comes any where close to meeting that bar.
~Ethan~

+1 for this summary which echoes my sentiments entirely.

Me too. I'm against iteritems and friends coming back.

I've been burned in the past with the burden of writing a mapping class with the many methods such a thing must support; both items() and iteritems() and so forth. For the example I have in mind I eventually abandoned the objective of being a full mapping and am going back to just a few methods to support easy element access such as __getitem__ and __contains__.

I have a small python module of my own to aid my python 2+3 efforts, and am of the opinion that it is better to add iteritems elper functions to a popular module like six than to left the noise back into the python 3 mapping interface.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>