Hi All,

Apologies if this is considered off topic, but I'm keen to get the "language designers" point of view and short of emailing Barry, Guido and Nick directly, this seemed like the best place.

I'm having a tough time persuading some people of the benefits of pep8, particularly when it comes to applying to an existing large code base.

The biggest sticking point is naming, particularly as it's the one thing that can't necessarily be changed module by module. What were the compelling reasons to go from mixedCase to underscore_separated? What's considered the best approach for migrating from the former to the latter?

A couple of others that have raised some consternation; what are the technical reasons for this pattern being bad:

if len(seq)
if not len(seq)

...or, for me, the rather ugly:

if 0 != len(seq)

Likewise, these:

if greeting == True:
if greeting is True:

Please don't misunderstand me: I dislike the above intensely, but it's an emotional response based on 10-15 years of doing things the other way. I'm interested in arguments that don't include things like "it's pythonic" (which some people consider a derogatory term ;-)), or "just because", I trust that the stuff in pep8 was done with specific reasoning in mind, but I'm feeling rather useless at giving that reasoning and I'm hoping you can help :-)

cheers,

Chris