On May 8, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

> Now this does not mean that ``pip install cdecimal`` will automatically
> install
> this, because whether or not you're willing to install from servers other than
> PyPI[1] is a policy decision for the end user of pip.

I forgot to add, for externally hosted files that are able to be safely
downloaded pip's users can either elect to use any/all of them via:

   $ pip install --allow-all-external cdecimal
   $ PIP_ALLOW_ALL_EXTERNAL=1 pip install cdecimal
   $ echo "--allow-all-external\ncdecimal" > requirements.txt
   $ pip install -r requirements.txt
   $ echo "[global]\nallow-allow-external=true" > ~/.pip/pip.conf
   $ pip install cdecimal

They can also elect to allow externally hosted files for *only* cdecimal using:

    $ pip install --allow-external cdecimal decimal
    $ PIP_ALLOW_EXTERNAL=cdecimal pip install cdecimal
    $ echo "--allow-external decimal\ncdecimal" > requirements.txt
    $ pip install -r requirements.txt
    $ echo "[global]\nallow-external=decimal" > ~/.pip/pip.conf
    $ pip install cdecimal

I may have the syntax on the non command flag options slightly wrong, those
are auto generated for us in our option system and I don't personally use those
options.

Also the reason for the extra verbosity in ``--allow-external`` is so you
can allow it on something you don't directly depend on, like:

    $ pip install --allow-external cdecimal foobar-which-depends-on-cdecimal