On 7 June 2014 01:41, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> What this means for Python is that C extensions for Python 3.5 and later can
> be built using any version of MSVC from 14.0 and later. Those who are aware
> of the current state of affairs where you need to use a matching compiler
> will hopefully see how big an improvement this will be. It is also likely
> that other compilers will have an easier time providing compatibility with
> this new CRT, making it simpler and more reliable to build extensions with
> LLVM or GCC against an MSVC CPython.

\o/ That's great news.

(I'm assuming that change in policy includes figuring out a solution
to the file descriptor problem, since we determined during the
Stackless 2.8 discussion that file descriptor mismatches were actually
our biggest stumbling block when it came to mixing and matching
different CRT versions in one process)

> Basically, what I am offering to do is:
>
> * Update the files in PCBuild to work with Visual Studio "14"
> * Make any code changes necessary to build with VC14
> * Regularly test the latest Python source with the latest MSVC builds and
> report issues/suggestions to the MSVC team
> * Keep all changes in a separate (public) repo until early next year when
> we're getting close to the final VS "14" release
>
> What I am asking anyone else to do is:
>
> * Nothing
>
> Thoughts/comments/concerns?

As long as we're also keeping the VS10 files up to date as a fallback
option, which we will be, since the VS14 work will be in a separate
repo, this sounds like a fine idea to me.

Cheers,
Nick.