On 10 Jun 2014 18:41, "Paul Moore" <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 June 2014 08:36, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The standard implementation of run_path reads the whole file into
> > memory, but MicroPython would be free to optimise that and do
> > statement by statement execution instead (while that will pose some
> > challenges in terms of handling encoding cookies, future imports, etc
> > correctly, it's certainly feasible).
>
> ... and if they did optimise that way, I would imagine that the patch
> would be a useful contribution back to the core Python stdlib, rather
> than remaining a MicroPython-specific optimisation.

I believe it's a space/speed trade-off, so I'd be surprised if it made
sense for CPython in general. There are also some behavioural differences
when it comes to handling syntax errors.

Now that I think about the idea a bit more, if the MicroPython folks can
get a low memory usage incremental file execution model working, the
semantic differences mean it would likely make the most sense as a separate
API in runpy, rather than as an implicit change to run_path.

Cheers,
Nick.