With PEP 466 and the constant flow of OpenSSL security fixes
which are currently being handled via Python patch level releases,
we will soon reach 2.7.10 and quickly go beyond that (also see
http://bugs.python.org/issue21308).

This opens up a potential backwards incompatibility with existing
tools that assume the Python release version number to use the
"x.y.z" single digit approach, e.g. code that uses sys.version[:5]
for the Python version or relies on the lexicographic ordering
of the version string (sys.version > '2.7.2').

Some questions we should probably ask ourselves (I've added my
thoughts inline):

 * Is it a good strategy to ship to Python releases for every
   single OpenSSL security release or is there a better way to
   handle these 3rd party issues ?

   I think we should link to the OpenSSL libs dynamically rather
   than statically in Python 2.7 for Windows so that it's possible
   to provide drop-in updates for such issues.

 * Should we try to avoid two digit patch level release numbers
   by using some other mechanism such as e.g. a release date
   after 2.7.9 ?

   Grepping through our code, this will introduce some breakage,
   but not much. Most older code branches on minor versions,
   not patch levels. More recent code uses sys.python_info so
   is not affected.

 * Should we make use of the potential breakage with 2.7.10
   to introduce a new Windows compiler version for Python 2.7 ?

   I think this would be a good chance to update the compiler
   to whatever we use for Python 3 at the time.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 21 2014)
2014-06-17: Released eGenix PyRun 2.0.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go58
2014-06-09: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.3 ...  http://egenix.com/go57
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 11 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/