On 08/20/2014 05:15 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 21 August 2014 09:33, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
On 08/20/2014 03:31 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

scandir is low level (the entire os module is low level). In fact, aside
from pathlib, I'd consider pretty much every
API we have that deals with paths to be low level - that's a large part of
the reason we needed pathlib!

If scandir is low-level, and the low-level API's are the ones that should
support bytes paths, then scandir should support bytes paths.

Is that what you meant to say?

Yes. The discussions around PEP 471 *deferred* discussions of bytes
and file descriptor support to their own RFEs (not needing a PEP),
they didn't decide definitively not to support them. So Serhiy's
thread is entirely pertinent to that question.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I hate feeling confused.  ;)

Note that adding bytes support still *should not* hold up the initial
PEP 471 implementation - it should be done as a follow on RFE.

Agreed.

--
~Ethan~